Adaptogens are natural substances that help the body to overcome particular stressors by stimulating the body’s own self-regeneration process. They are plant and complementary substances that regulate the body’s processes and improve overall health by supporting the body’s systems, particularly the hormonal and immune systems.
Stress-related conditions are present in the majority of patients/clients that we see in our clinics.
By balancing the secretions of cortisol and other hormones secreted from the adrenal cortex, the multipurpose adaptogens modulate a wide range of positive responses, proving to be particularly helpful in protecting the body from the impacts of stress, as well as to increase energy levels. Effective for a variety of conditions and suitable for all body types, adaptogens not only defuse the effects of emotional stress, but also help the body recover from physical stress such as lack of sleep, recovery from surgery, heavy manual labour, running long distances and high- altitude sickness.
The name ‘adaptogen’ was coined by a Russian scientist, Dr. N.V. Lazarev, in 1947, when he was doing extensive research on these beneficial natural plants. He called them adaptogens because of their capability to help increase the body’s natural resistance and adapt to adverse environmental conditions.
Based on Dr. Lazarev’s initial findings, numerous Russian scientists, including acclaimed scientist Dr. Israel Brekhman, set out to study and show that adaptogens are the only natural substances which help the body protect itself from stress. Starting in the early 1950’s until present, over 5,000 clinical studies have been successfully performed proving the effectiveness and efficacy of adaptogens for stress reduction.
Unlike allopathic drugs which carry with them the possibility of side effects, adaptogens benefit the body without disturbing or doing it harm. Very few plants possess adaptogenic properties. It is estimated that only one in 4,000 plants qualify as adaptogens.
Qualities of an adaptogen:
- Non-toxic, non-habit forming and requires no prescription
- Aids in normalization of body chemistries.
- Increases the body’s ability to cope with physical and emotional stress, stress related imbalances and environmental pollution.
- Works in a synergistic manner, increasing the body’s ability to fight off illness before it sets in, in direct contrast to modern drugs which attack ‘specific’ disease symptoms after you are thoroughly sick.
- Works not only when first ingested, but for a sustained period of time and becomes increasingly active the more the body needs it.