Multi B Complex focuses on high potency bioactive forms of all the B vitamins that synergistically contribute to normal function of the immune system, nervous system, energy production and reduction of tiredness and fatigue. This makes Multi B Complex ideal for those people who lead busy and strenuous lives. B vitamins are also water-soluble meaning you need a ready dietary supply, as they are not stored in the body.
As well as reducing tiredness and fatigue, supporting energy production and immune system function B vitamins also have other specific roles in health including:
- Vitamin B1 – contributes to normal psychological function and normal function of the heart.
- Vitamin B2 – contributes to maintenance of normal skin, red blood cells and vision.
- Vitamin B3 – contributes to maintenance of normal mucous membranes.
- Vitamin B5 – contributes to normal synthesis and metabolism of steroid hormones, Vitamin D and some neurotransmitters.
- Vitamin B6 – contributes to maintenance of normal homocysteine and metabolism and of regulation of hormonal activity.
- Folate – contributes to maternal tissue growth during pregnancy and has a role in the process of cell division. 400µg daily folic acid intake increases maternal folate status. Low maternal folate status is a risk factor in the development of neural tube defects in the developing foetus.
- Vitamin B12 – contributes to normal red blood cell formation. Vitamin B12 is naturally found in fish, dairy produce, organ meats, beef, and pork. This means that vegetarians and vegans often choose it as a regular supplement.
- Choline – contributes to normal homocysteine metabolism; normal lipid metabolism and maintenance of normal liver function.
- Inositol – associated with B vitamins, inositol plays an important role in cell communication and in recent years has been studied extensively in relation to its role in insulin signalling.
- Biotin – contributes to maintenance of normal hair and skin.
- PABA – related to folate, this important nutrient works with other B vitamins in their roles relating to maintaining optimal health.
Bioavailability of nutrients is important because the efficiency with which your system absorbs key nutrients affects both the speed and level of positive health effects, as well impacting on the cost of your supplement programme.
Bioactive B vitamin forms in Multi B Complex include:
- Pyridoxine-5-Phosphate (P5P) – the bioactive coenzyme form of Vitamin B6, which can be directly utilised by the body without conversion.
- Quatrefolic® – a specific clinically validated form of reduced and methylated folate with optimum stability and bioavailability. Folic acid and food folate are not biologically active and need to be converted to the metabolically active form of folate (5-MTHF) in the body. Some individuals, due to their unique genetic patterns and expression (i.e. polymorphisms), do not produce adequate or effective folate converting enzymes (Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase – MTHFR). Quatrefolic® passes the gastric barrier and is absorbed in the gut in to support levels of bioactive folate including in those individuals who have the MTHFR polymorphism, which is implicated in certain chronic disease states.
- Methylcobalamin – a naturally occurring form of Vitamin B12 that is better absorbed and retained in the tissues compared to synthetic cyanocobalamin.